Thursday, May 26, 2011

Update + Mentors

We were recently assigned a final 3-piece project. Seeing as though my senior year is coming to an end, I really wanted to put forth my best effort...And I did, even if it didn't turn out as great as I would have liked. For the first, I decided to use oil paint. It was somewhat successful since I haven't really used oil paint before. Then I decided to switch to oil paint sticks. I really enjoyed using them because it helpedme stick to using dark color for shading. I liked that it was a combination of drawing and painting since I think I'm better at drawing. I used my hands a lot too and it was then that I understood what Mrs. Smith meant when she said that painting with oil is kind of like sculpting. My third piece did not end up like I wanted it to. It looks very unfinished, and I learned that a smaller canvas doesn't always mean less work.
As
for my mentors, the first is Leonora Carrington who I learned about because of her recent death. She was a surrealist painter from Mexico (although she was born in Britain). She was one of the last living surrealist painters from her era, and her work has been shown all around the world. Her artwork first caught my eye when I was on a news website. It's a shame she's no longer living. H
ere's one of her paintings on the left!



Another thing I found while browsing online recently was an p
ost about a sand sculpture festival in Turkey. The website did not provide much information other than an amazing picture, but I looked into it a little and found that it was located on Antalya's beach. Then I found that these happen not only in Turkey but annua
lly in other parts of the world such as Australia, India, and Russia too. I thought pictures of these would be interesting to share since Alex is doing a sand sculpture/sand castle project right now. I'm not really sure who the artists are, but they're clearly very talented. I never thought sand sculptures could go this far. Here are some
pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment